DLC Consultant Spotlight
Achille Fankem, MBA
Achille is a dynamic and innovative professional with 10+ years of proven track record of delivering results.
He has a strong skill set in accounting, financial reporting, internal controls, financial audit, SOX Compliance, M&A transaction execution & due diligence.
We are here to solve your business challenges.
Areas of Expertise
With over 10 years of experience in a variety of areas, Achille effectively supports operational and financial management needs.
- William Morris Endeavor ($600M talent agency)
- Cineverse ($50M+ annual revenue – Streaming Technology)
- Murad Skincare ($30M annual revenue)
- Madison Wells Media ($10M annual revenue – Production Company)
- Green Dot Public Schools (Los Angeles Unified School District Charter Schools)
- Squar Milner (Audit clients in technology, restaurants, and manufacturing)
- Ernst & Young (Audit clients in real estate, financial services, technology, entertainment, manufacturing, and retail)
- PriceWaterHouseCoopers (Audit clients in oil & gas, manufacturing, restaurants, and financial service)
- Prepared monthly and annual financial statements, including income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement, statement of equity, and the majority of the footnote disclosures.
- Performed variance analysis on significant accounts and over financial statements as a whole. Reviewed results analyzed, explained major variances, and made recommendations for corrective actions in various companies.
- Conducted impairment analysis over film costs under ASC 926-20-35-12 using the discounted cash flow method.
- Consolidated financial statements under ASC 810 – Consolidation, including elimination entries and intercompany reconciliation, and assessed and consolidated entities under Variable Interest Entities (VIEs) model.
- Participated in monthly, quarterly, and year-end closing process, including reconciling various balance sheet accounts to the GL, assuring the accuracy of data and integrity of reporting in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Developed internal monthly reporting packages capturing a variety of financial performance metrics, ratios, and presentation styles adapted to the issues, people, and businesses involved.
- Managed the month-end revenue close to complete the revenue process.
- Performed payroll processing, payroll reconciliations, and payroll journal entries. Managed payroll journal entry mapping between new payroll processing company and existing accounting software system.
- Improved working dynamics between Accounting department and various Divisions by establishing meetings and providing support to their operations.
- Functioned as the liaison with external and internal auditors primarily in the areas of revenue, accounts receivable and some intercompany accounts. Coordinated and supervised year-end audit schedule preparation and completion.
- Improved month-end close procedures around revenue to reduce closing time from eight days to six days over time in a mature accounting environment.
- Reviewed, proposed adjustments, and improved upon several balance sheet and income statement accounts in preparation for year end. Recommended several journal entry corrections to ensure financial statements were GAAP compliant as of year-end.
- Familiar with various financial models and analytical tools including DCF, CAPM, NPV, IRR, growth model, 12 month rolling average, trend analysis, ratio analysis, sensitivity analysis and scenarios modeling.
- Hands-on review and tie-out of Forms S-1, 8-K, 10-Q, and 10-K, including footnote disclosures and MD&A at multiple public companies.
- Led the implementation of the new revenue standard (ASC 606) after evaluating its impact on all revenue streams for talent agency with annual revenue over $600M.
- Researched and documented Company positions relating to revenue recognition interpretations and applications related to ASC 605 and ASC 926
- Established capitalization policy for costs incurred for the development of software to be sold, leased, or marketed, under the guidance of ASC 985-20-25.
- Performed technical analysis on existing and new contracts to determine the appropriate revenue recognition under the guidance of ASC 605 and ASC 926.
- Provided training to Talent Payment Coordinators through presentations and one-on-one discussions on revenue recognition principles (ASC 605) to mitigate risk in the revenue process of a talent agency with yearly revenue over $600M.
- Assisted client with opening balance sheet of newly acquired international subsidiary under the guidance of ASC 805.
- Prepared weighted average basic and diluted EPS calculation in accordance with FAS 128.
- Experience researching financial accounting topics and making recommendations on GAAP compliance, including position papers, including held for sale classification, goodwill impairment (ASC 360), discontinued operations (ASC 205), debt modification and extinguishment (ASC 470-50), accounting for ultimate revenue (ASC 926-20-35-5), and stock-based compensation (ASC 718).
- External audit background in real estate, technology, financial service, manufacturing, oil and gas, retail, healthcare, and not for profit.
- Performed integrated audits and SAS 100 quarterly reviews for publicly traded companies, from planning and execution, to review of Form 10-K and Form 10-Q.
- Participated actively in SOX 404 compliance program, including supporting standardization of journal entries, increasing transparency and documentation of supporting accrual entries, and demonstrating signoff at the appropriate executive levels.
- Performed analysis to establish vendor specific objective evidence (VSOE) for a Software as a Service (SaaS) client.
- Developed and executed all phases of the audit, including planning, staff supervision and development, performance of testing procedures, documentation of results and report issuance. Responsible for supervising, developing and leading teams of associates.
- Ensured fair presentation of financial statements and adequacy of disclosures in accordance with US GAAP; verified consistency of financial reporting with audit results.
- Interviewed senior management to perform several walkthroughs of business processes and tested the operating effectiveness of internal controls.
- Prepared and developed SOC1 report for asset management firm with assets under management over $137B.
- Reviewed and advised clients on Sarbanes-Oxley section 404 issues, including internal control design and operating effectiveness.
- Developed and implemented improvements to the revenue and A/R processes. Improvements included more controls and mitigating controls to capture previously missed revenue items and to provide more accurate numbers.
- Implemented control and review procedures around month-end and quarter-end close to improve the process and the reliability of the data, ensure that the balance sheet accounts were consistently and systematically updated according to company policy and GAAP, and that stringent timelines were met. Procedures included checklists including calendar and evidence of review, as well as periodic meetings and capture of accruals at month-end.
- Participated in pre-acquisition due diligence including review of several balance sheet accounts and interviewing personnel.
- Analyzed pre-acquisition revenue trends for target Companies.
- Certified Microsoft Office Specialist – Excel 2007 Expert
- Expert Level Excel User including pivot tables, macros, charts, formula building (IF, IFERROR, V-LOOKUP, H-LOOKUP, PV, NPV, IRR, RATE, SUMIF, TODAY, MATCH, COUNT, MAX, CONCATENATE, LEFT, etc.), data validation, filters, grouping, subtotals, password protection, drop down menus, etc.
- Over 500 hours of experience in MS XL 2007 with its enhancements in conditional formatting, data tables, formulas, charts, and the new ribbon layout.
- Advanced Level PowerPoint User including creating slide masters, working with templates and layouts, inserting objects, creating graphs and organization charts, working with embedded and/or linked objects, slide transition and animation as well as creating and running slide shows.
Microsoft Dynamics GP
- Over 3,000 hours of experience in GP recording journal entries and generating reports
MICROSOFT DYNAMICS NAV
- Over 3,000 hours of experience in NAV recording journal entries and generating reports.
- Updated queries to generate reports.
- Over 3,000 hours of experience in Sage Intacct recording journal entries and generating reports.
- Updated settings for customized reports.
- Processed invoices for payments, generated receivable invoices.
- Working experience with SAP, Oracle, JD Edwards, Great Plains, QuickBooks, and Workday.
IE Business School, Madrid, Spain
- Master of Business Administration
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- Bachelore of Science in Accounting
- International Scholarship Award
Certified Public Accounting
- AICPA (Inactive License in California)
- Previously met all annual training requirements to maintain CPA.
- Fluent in French